Oh, the things you can find at the mall!

Posted on 12:57 AM | By Biki Honko | In

 Sitting at the diner waiting for our breakfasts to arrive, my mind just sort of drifted off.  I'm still trying to work my head around what I saw this morning.  I mean knowing is one thing, but seeing is quite another.  I don't really know what bothers me the most, seeing Ben having sex with Derrick, or how much Ben enjoyed it, and well, also that it was……..arousing.  What made it arousing to me?   I just don't know.  I'm going to have to spend a lot of time thinking through all of this I think.  It's really odd, one moment I'm fine with seeing them enjoying sex, and then the next moment, I'm completely overwhelmed and lost and slightly confused.  I just can't get the picture of them out of my head……..

"Abby?  You ok, honey?"  When Ben spoke to me it jerked me back to the world at large.

"Yeah, I'm ok, just thinking that's all."

"About this morning?"

"Uh huh.  Just trying to get it all straight in my head that's all.  I just need to work on some stuff, ok?"

"Wanna tell us what?"

"Not yet.  I need to work through this some more on my own first."

"Are you sure you don't wanna talk about it?"

"Very.  I need to work some of this myself, ok?"

"Sure honey."

Over our breakfast we chatted about a nothing important, just the little things that seemingly fill most every table during meal times.  It was pleasant and relaxed, and a really nice counterpoint to the emotional morning.  Walking to the car, I grabbed Derrick's hand and his surprised but pleased grin made me happy.  Taking a quick hop step pulling Derrick with me, I snagged Ben's hand earning me a happy grin from him.  I wanted to sit in the back seat on the way to the mall, not really in the mood to chat, and this allowed me time to think.


I'm rather worried about how Abby is actually dealing with seeing Derrick and I together this morning. She never wants to sit in the back seat, and almost leaped in front of Derrick to get to the back passenger door before he could.  She seems to fluctuate between the posts of handling it and floundering.  On the drive to the mall I kept looking in the rear view mirror, no tears well that had to be a good sign, yeah?  Sigh…… this is going to be tough day all around I think.

As we got out of the car, Abby looked up into Derrick's hesitant smile saying, "Well big guy, I hope your debt card is made of asbestos because it's going to burn a path through the mall today!"

Derrick shot a look at me of pure and utter helplessness.  Laughing at his bunny in the road look saying, "I tried to warn you that she is a shopping warrior.  We won't be leaving anytime soon, I can tell you that."

Gulping a little at that thought a strangled whisper came from him, "Ok."

With Abby leading the way, she attacked the first large department store with precision.  Jeans, polos, tee shirts, and jackets flowed into and out of his dressing room.  I was on guard to make sure he tried on everything and it fit well, and to make sure he didn't run away I think!  Progressing thru the mall, hoodies from a store that seemed to overflow with them, and had some very cute salespeople.  One very cute guy wouldn't stop touching Derrick, and some possessiveness streak that I didn't know I had caused me to wrap my arm around his waist.  In a very brave move, Derrick leaned in and quickly kissed my lips earning a smile from me and a look of disappointment on the clerks face.  What won the priceless look though, was when Abby came up and she earned a kiss on the lips from the both of us!

Derrick was beginning to flag that was clear.  His interest in shopping was almost nil to start, and this marathon shopping was not his sport.  Hmm, what we need is a carrot, something that will keep him shopping until Abby decides he is done.  Just as I was opening my mouth to suggest lunch, or a snack or something to eat, a squeal came from Abby and dropping all the bags she had been holding she ran into a woman's arms, who was squealing along with Abby.  We stood there completely forgotten, wondering who this woman was.  They were hugging and talking, only to hug some more, Derrick looked at me, and I just shrugged an I don't have a clue shrug.  Finally Abby wound down a bit and tugged her over to us.

"Lisa Davis, this is my husband Ben Parker, and our good friend Derrick Addison.  Lisa and I were roommates my first three years of college, until she transferred."

"Hello Lisa, it's very nice to finally meet you. Abby has told me so much about you, it's almost as if I already know you."  Lisa had large dark brown sparkling eyes, deep dimples when she smiled, smooth beautiful skin the color of milk chocolate, and hair that fluffed out around her head in long curls.  A very beautiful woman.

Derrick looked worried and uncomfortable but held out his hand saying, "Hi Lisa."  Lisa grabbed his hand with both of hers, and just held it softly between hers, causing an impressive flow of emotions across his face.

Lisa looked Derrick over with an apprising eye, I think she really liked what she saw, and was being so obvious that it caused Derrick to slightly redden.  Abby watched Lisa devour Derrick with her eyes, and suddenly it occurred to her that Lisa was interested in Derrick!

"Derrick weren't you going to buy a laptop today?  Why don't you two boys go put all my bags in car, and go to the computer store and let us girls catch up. Ok?"

"Sounds good to me, maybe we can get together for dinner?"  I was so happy that Abby had given us a way out.  Hopefully she would clue Lisa in on the fact that Derrick wasn't interested in her.

"Dinner would be lovely!  It was very nice to finally meet you Ben, I have heard so much about you, and yes it's all good.  Now that I'm back in the area hopefully we will be able to see a lot of each other in the future.  It was great meeting you to Derrick."

"Yeah, nice to have meet you too Lisa."  To keep Lisa from getting ahold of his hand again, he bent down and and started picking up as many of the shopping bags as he could.  I hurried to scoop up the rest of them.

As we walked to the car, Derrick let out a loud breath, "Man I hate it when women look at me that way!  I feel like a piece of meat or something. Ya know?"

"I wouldn't know Mr. Handsome!  Women don't look at me like that.  Me? I'm a fairly average looking guy, but you?  You are drop dead gorgeous, and I think one of the things that makes you so handsome is that you don't realize it."

"Me?  Pfft!  Yeah, right.  You're the one who is all kinds of handsome, not me!"

We laughed all the way to the car, and for a while on the way back briefly held hands.  Those few stolen moments of holding hands felt so good.  I really wanted a kiss, but that was pushing it, and I wasn't ready yet to possibly be seen by someone I knew.  How lame was that?  I love Derrick, but I want to hide our love.  Oh what the hell!  I'm not going to deny him again, like we did with Lisa, I grabbed his hand and quickly pulled him in for a quick kiss.  Shock was written all over his face, which was quickly replaced with happiness.  Smiling he kissed me back.  He understood what my kiss was saying, and it took some of the sting out of being introduced as a "good friend" earlier.

"I'm sorry about earlier.  We need to work on introducing you to our friends and acquaintances.  But, we will get better at it, I promise."

"No, no, I understand, and it's cool.  Honestly, what was Abby to say?  This is my husband and his boyfriend?"

"It's not cool at all.  What she should have said, is this is my husband, Ben, and my other husband Derrick."

"But, I'm not Abby's husband now am I?  If I'm anyone's husband it would be yours.  At the most?  I am Abby's good friend like she said."

"That's not true Derrick and you know it!"

"Yes Ben, it's true and you know it.  Abby and I are just getting to know each other.  It's going to take us a while to get beyond friends.  But to call me Abby's husband?  I don't know if that title will ever qualify.  I do love her, and I think she will grow to love me, but not in a lover sort of way.  And I think that is one of the requirements for the title of husband is to be her lover, and I just don't see that happening, ever.  I know you had hopes for that, but she doesn't move me that way.  And to be honest, I don't think I move her that way either, and I'm fine with that, and you need to deal with that fact.  Sexually we are going to be two couples, not three."

Sighing I replied, "I know, or at least am beginning to understand.  I am just worried that it could lead to jealousy being two couples and not three."

"I don't think you have to worry about that.  So, far we are working thru things and everyone seems happy, yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Ok, enough talk, let's go buy me a computer."



What kind of odds is it that I would meet up with Lisa after all these years in a mall?  Walking to a coffee shop we exchanged the latest news in each others lives.  I knew Lisa had been transferred back to our area, but the last I heard she didn't know the exact date. She had only been back in town less than a week, and with the flurry of finding an apartment while working full time had left her at the end of the day absolutely exhausted, but she was planning on calling me next weekend.  After ordering our coffees, and pastries our talk turned from getting all caught up to current events.

"So, tell me all about that delicious Derrick?  Is he dating?  If so, do you think it's serious?  Or do I have a chance to steal him away?"

"Umm, Lisa he is in a very serious relationship."

"Oh.  How long has he been dating her?"

"Only a week, and umm it's not a her, it's a him."

"He's gay? Shit.  How could it be that serious if it's only been a week?"

"It's just one of those love at first sights kinda things."

"Oh, have you met his boyfriend yet?"

"Yeah, I have."

"Do you like him?  Is he a nice guy?"

I sat there for a moment trying to decide how to answer that. Do I come clean?  Or do I lie?  Quickly I pulled out my phone and sent a text to Ben, "Do I tell her about us?"

My phone chimed and I read Ben's answer which was short and to the point. "Yes."

"Abby?  What's up?  What's wrong?"

"Lisa, yes I know Derrick's boyfriend, and not only do I like him,"  I drew in a huge and kinda shaky breath, and looking down at the table said, "I love him.  It's Ben."

I quickly looked up, the expression on her face was hard to read, I had no idea what she was thinking at all.  Sweat broke out in my armpits, and my hands started to shake, when a warm hand was laid on mine.

"Abby?  It's ok, really it is.  Wanna talk to me about it?"

In fits and starts I told her every thing, from the day when I came home with Ben wanting a divorce to this mornings activities in the guest room and how it affected me.  Running out of words I just sat there, afraid to look up, afraid she would get up in disgust with me, with Ben, and turn her back on me, forever.

"Oh!  How sad!  Poor Ben!  But, more to the point, are you really ok with all of this? Honestly?"

"It's been a rough week, I won't lie to you.  Lisa I wish you could see the difference between last weeks Ben and this weeks.  He is so much happier.  You saw him, he almost glows with happiness.  When our happiness started to fade, I don't really know.  All I know is that since it's back, did I realize how far we had slipped from each other.  Our love feels renewed, fresh again.  When he holds me, there is no space between us, Derrick isn't between us at all.  Ben loves both of us.  And Derrick, how could you not love him.  He is so very sweet, so loving.  He was prepared to give Ben up, rather than come between us.  He brought Ben home to me, he forced Ben to come home and set things right after our giant fight.  I am starting to fall in love Derrick."

"Wow!  Abby, I have to give you props for letting Ben bring his boyfriend home to live with you two.  I don't think I would be as accommodating as you have been."

"If you loved him as much as I love Ben, you would have done the exact same thing.  The only other option was to lose Ben, and I didn't want to do that I love Ben, and I want him to be happy.  And to be honest, i can't imagine my life without Ben in it.  Somehow it doesn't really feel like I am sharing him, it seems like I have more of him than ever before."

"How can that be?"

"Well, Ben doesn't have to hide part of himself from me any longer.  I mean when we first met he did tell me that he was bi, but it never was mentioned again, and it just slipped from my mind.  But, for Ben while he loves me, there was a part of him he was denying, and I guess it got to the point where it overwhelmed him until he just couldn't deny it any longer.  And now, he is whole, so for the first time in a very long time I have all of Ben again."

"Oh… How do you decide who Ben sleeps with?"

"Oh, we all share a bed.  Ben sleeps in the middle.  So, we each get to snuggle with him.  Derrick gets up hours before me, and Ben gets up with him, and Ben is there when I wake up.  We each get some alone time with him, which is just wonderful.  Ben and I get home from work hours before Derrick does, and that has led to some really sweaty and passionate sex.  Derrick has slipped into our lives so effortlessly, almost like we have been a…… a triplet forever."

"You know what you should do?  If you are really ok with all of this? Are you really ok with this living arrangement?"

"Yeah I am.  There are still some issues we need to address, but I am happy."

"Then you need to make him an equal partner, and soon."

"Equal partner?  How?"

"Give him a ring, a wedding ring.  Do the vows again.  Maybe new bands for everyone to celebrate this new beginning."

"Ya know what?  That is an excellent idea.  Now comes the hard part, telling people."

"Ohh, that is going to be the tricky part.  I guess the best thing to do, for now only tell people you think will be ok with it.  What about your mom?  Does she know?"

"No.  I thought I should get things all settled and have all the bumps worked out before we tell her.  I'm kinda worried about telling her.  And my sister………. I have no idea how she will take it.  Luckily she moved a few hours away last year, so we don't see her to often."

"Things are still rough between you two then?"

"Yeah, nothing has changed there at all.  I have no idea why she is so jealous of me, but she is.  And I can just image what kinda storm this will cause.  But, I want to get mom on board with this before we tell Emily."

"Somethings never change do they?"

"No, well not Emily at least.  I think she is going to make mom choose between her or me, and I really hate putting mom in that position."

"Who do you think your mom will side with?"

I sighed rather loudly, "Mom has mostly stayed out our bickering.  I think she will try very hard to not allow Emily to put her in the position of having to choose between us."

My phone chimed, and it was a text from Ben saying, "r u ok?"

I smiled at Lisa saying, "I need to call Ben, ok?"

"Sure."

"Hi!  Yeah, I'm ok.  No worries. At the coffee shop.  Ok, see ya soon.  Love ya!"

"Ok, they are done buying Derrick a laptop and will be here soon.  Are you sure your fine with……this…us?"

"Yes Abby, I am fine.  Stop worrying so much!"

Minutes ticked by and Ben and Derrick walked in, and quickly made their way to our table.

"Hi babe, you ok?"  Ben pulled me from my chair, and giving me an exquisite hug.  I just melted into the safe harbor of his arms.  Derrick leaned in and kissed my cheek.  Pulling free of Ben's arms I snuggled into Derrick's chest and felt his arms wind around me, and Ben kissed my cheek.  Putting me between them at the table I felt safe and protected, and very very loved.

"Derrick are you hungry?  Your tummy is rumbling.  Let me go get you something.  Ben are you hungry also?"

"Yeah, I could eat, how about a sandwich.  What about you bottomless pit?"

"Hey!  I'm not always hungry!"  The look Ben and I gave Derrick caused all of us to burst into laughter.

"Ok, I'm hungry most of the time, is that better?"

I kissed his cheek, "Well, I don't know about better, but much more honest!  I'll be right back."

After ordering their food and bringing their coffees back to the table I saw that Derrick and Ben were holding hands, but as soon as they saw me, they pulled apart making room for me again.  And at first I felt as if I was intruding, but at the happy smiles on both of their faces seeing me return, soon laid that snake to sleep, and I happily settled back between them.

We sat and chatted for over an hour, when Ben suddenly said, "How about coming home with us for supper?  We could grill some steaks or something."

"I would love to."

"Abby?  What do we want to make for supper?"

"Hmm, Lisa do you have any preference as to supper?"

"Nope, I love a good steak.  I will eat almost anything really."

"Even prosciutto?  That stuff isn't even food!"  Derrick shuddered at the memory of the flavor.

We all laughed at Derrick's expression, and he started chuckling along with us too.

"I do have to agree with you on that Derrick, prosciutto is not food.  It's spoiled lunch meat!"  Lisa's eyes merrily twinkled with playfullness.

"Exactly!"  Derrick held his fist up for Lisa to bump him, and she did quite enthusiastically.

"Ok, so we won't be dining on prosciutto tonight!  Any other requests?  And yeah I know Derrick, big portions!"  I kissed his cheek to pull any sting from my teasing words.

"Honey, how about you ride home with Lisa, and Derrick and I will stop off at the store and pick up the makings for supper?  Sound good?"

"Now how could I turn down two such cute grocery shoppers?  Go for it!"

Parting at the parking lot with the guys, Lisa and I walked to her car, chatting about nothing of consequence, I gave her the general direction to our house, and I was just about to burst like an over ripe tomato.

"Well?  What did you think of Derrick?"

"He is a dream!  And you are right, Ben loves both of you.  He lights up for you, he lights up for Derrick.  I think Derrick really loves you too."

"Yeah, me too.  Do you see what I mean about how easy he is to love?"

"I do."

We sat on the patio, enjoying the beautiful weather and just chatted idly about nothing of importance, waiting for the guys to come back so I could get supper started.  It was so nice to have Lisa back in my life.  And even better that she was fine with our arrangement.  The guys got back from the grocery store with bags of groceries.  The big surprise was they wanted to help make dinner.  Ben got the steaks marinating and the grill lit, Lisa made the salad, the guys wanted french fries and corn on the cob, so I got started on that.  And Derrick?  He made his favorite thing in the world, garlic bread.  I love watching Derrick kneel at the broiler watching the garlic bread like a hawk so that it doesn't burn. The look on his face is so sweet to me, a mixture of concentration and anticipation.

The evening was a tad bit to cold to eat on the patio, I can't wait for warmer weather to get here.  I love living on the patio, enjoying the fresh air, and the sounds of kids playing, and the smell of fresh cut grass which is the smell of summer to me.  Dinner was a huge success, the food was great, the company even better.  Ben bought Lisa and I a nice bottle of red wine, and of course beer for them.  They were pretty excited to try this beer, some import from somewhere…….  We sat over dinner for a long while, just chatting and enjoying getting to know each other again.

After a while Derrick got up and started to clear the table, after he got the table about halfway emptied, he nudged Ben saying, "Hey there boyfriend, ya going to sit on your lazy ass all night or are you going to get up and actually help?"

"Listening to you, I think you sound more like a wife than a boyfriend.  Nag, nag, nag!"  A huge smile spilt his face, as he was clearly teasing both Derrick and me.

Pretending to be mad I said, "Hey!! Watch it buster!"  At that everyone started to laugh, and then proceed to laugh even harder when Ben got up to help get things cleaned up.

Ben waved a hand towel at Lisa and I saying, "You two get out of here at let us clean this mess up."

Lisa and I beat a hasty retreat to the living room and let the guys get on with it, and we sat down to continue our visit.  After a few minutes, Lisa had finished her glass of water, and was still thirsty.  She got up to go into the kitchen but was back almost instantly, with a very funny look on her face.

"What's wrong?"

"Umm, I think I interrupted something in the kitchen."

Curious as to what was going on in the kitchen, I got up and peeked around the corner into the kitchen.  They were doing dishes and talking and laughing, nudging each other with their hips and seemed to be making dish duty a fun time.  Hmm, what were they doing when Lisa peeked in?

"Lisa I gotta ask, what were they doing when you looked in?  They are just doing dishes now."

"……………kissing….."

Laughing at the look on her face I said, "Yeah they do tend to do that.  Ben likes to kiss when he does dishes."

"Oh…. ok."

"See?  It's totally different hearing about it, than seeing it, yeah?"

"Yeah, it is."

Quickly the guys were done doing dishes and rejoined us.  And all to soon Lisa started to yawn, and that set Derrick off, and it was clear to everyone that our wonderful afternoon and evening had come to a close.  Shortly after saying farewell to Lisa, the three of us were snuggled in bed and drifting off to sleep.  A smile was on my face as I was falling asleep, such a completely awesome day!

Comments (2)

Hi there

I've just found this blog, and read through your story "A New Path". I very much enjoyed it: it's well written, and it's great to see an author making a serious attempt to portray a polyamorous relationship. I'm looking forward to more!

All the best

Mark