Heaven on a Plate

Posted on 2:40 PM | By Biki Honko | In

Zzzt….zzzt…zzzt…zzzt……z slap!  I groggily felt Derrick roll over and snuggle up to me.  Umm, that was such a nice way to wake up.  I felt lips on the back of my neck kissing me, as he wrapped his arm around me, pulling me in closer.

"Isn't it Monday?"

"Yeah.  Today is moving day for me, remember?"

"Oh, yeah."

"Someone is sleepy this morning."

"Kinda."

"Go back to sleep."

"Nah, I'll get up with you."

"You are already up.'

"Like I'm the only one?"

Thrusting softly against my butt and kissing the back of my neck he whispered, "Ya wanna?"

Pushing back against him I said, "…. ohh yeah…."

"Let's move this to the other room, ok?"

"Yeah."

We slipped quietly out of the bed, Abby still had hours before she needed to be up for work, and we moved into the guest room.  I think we need a better name for this room, cause it hasn't ever had any guests in it, but it's sure seeing a lot of sex lately!  Falling into the bed and into each others arms, this could become a very wonderful habit!  As Derrick headed to the shower I crawled back into bed with Abby, and slipped back into sleep before he got out of the shower.

 When Abby's alarm went off I was muddled headed and confused.  I hate it when i fall back to sleep after being up for a while, it totally trashes my head.  I drug myself into the shower, hoping the hot water would clear some of the cob webs away.  I was standing in the shower, leaning against the wall just letting the hot water pour over me, when Abby came into the shower and scared the shit outta me.

"Sorry!  What's with you this morning?"

"I got up with Derrick, and now my head is all mucked up."

"A gallon of coffee coming up, stat!"  Abby merrily laughed at me

"Shush, please Abby, not so loud."

"Oh, you do have the big head this morning, don't you?  Poor baby!"

"Oh, hell yes, I think it's going to fall off it hurts so bad."

"Let me get you some aspirins, ok?"

"If you do? I will love you forever."

"Boy, are you easy!"

"Yeah."

Abby hopped out of the shower and was back with aspirins, which I gratefully gulped down.

"I will wait until you are finished to shower this morning.  I'll get the coffee started."  Abby grabbed her robe, and headed out of the bathroom, leaving me blissfully alone.  I slowly washed my hair, putting off leaning over as long as possible, but either the hot water, or the aspirins had started to kick in because my headache started to ease up a bit.  I was still in the shower when Abby my little angel brought in a steaming mug of coffee.

"Wow, that was fast!"

"Derrick must have re-loaded the machine after he ate this morning, because it was ready and waiting for us.  You know there is no way, he was going anywhere with out coffee in the morning."

"Yeah, he does love his coffee."

"Do you think you can eat this morning?"

"Maybe some scramble eggs and a piece of toast."

"I'll be quick with my shower, just go and sit down ok?  You look pale."

"Ok."

"Are you sure about going in to work?"

"Yeah, my headache seems to be easing off some already."

"I'll be right out.  And don't you even think of starting breakfast!"

"Yes, I promise."  Slowly getting dressed, trying not to jostle my head, ugh unless my head improves work today is going to be a trial. Sinking gratefully into the soft cushions of the sofa, I must have drifted off, because the next thing I knew was Abby's cool hand on my forehead.

"I am going to pull rank on you this morning.  You are staying home, and going back to bed.  Here," Abby handed me the phone, "call in and tell them while I make you something to eat."

"But.."

"Don't you even think of trying to talk me into letting you go to work today.  Now make that call."

I knew better than to try to change Abby's mind, once her mind was made up there was little hope of changing it.  While I was dialing the phone, I couldn't remember the last time I had called in sick.  Oh well, that's what sick days are for, right?  Of course he wasn't in yet, so I left a message on his voice mail.

"Here you go honey, I know you love a bowl of oatmeal when you don't feel well."

The oatmeal smelled heavenly!  Oh, and she remembered to put a sliced banana in it.  Smiling up at her, I gratefully ate my breakfast.  No sooner had my spoon scooped up the last little bite, than was the bowl popped out of my hand, and then the spoon plucked from my hand.

"Alright mister, off to bed with your right now!  No arguments!"

"Ok."

And before I knew it, I was back in bed, and drifting off again.  The last thing I remember was a soft kiss from Abby, and then thankfully sleep pulled me under.

On the way to work I worried about Ben, he rarely suffered from a headache, but when he did have one, they were always real lulus. The work day was one of those uneven days, first slammed silly with calls and emails that needed to be quickly sent, and then periods of relative calmness.  During one of those periods of calmness, mom called….. and was angling for a dinner invite tonight, I could put her off due to Ben's headache.  But I think we are going to have to come clean with mom soon.  I would rather have things planed out that to have her drop by unexpectedly.  Sigh….. I wonder what mom is going to make of this?  She loves Ben, but what will she think of him after this?  Oh, and Derrick, what is she going to think of him?  Suppressing a giggle the thought of having my mom sit at the table and watching him make garlic bread, how can you not find it sweet how he kneels by the broiler?  And then the day swept me away from my thoughts as things speeded up again.

As I drove away from the house, my first stop was at the I-Haul truck rental shop, I needed a lift to help get the washer and dryer and dresser alone.  Well, I guess I could wait, but I just want to get this move over with, it feels like my life is on hold until I get moved out of here and move…. home.  Wow! It just struck me how that is the first place that has felt like home in a really long time.  Sighing, I wondered for the millionth time if mom missed me.  Should I try calling her?  Maybe "he" won't be home this time.  Still trying to decide what to do, I walked into my apartment, and was struck by how sad it was.  Sterile, flavorless, nothing here that is about me, no wonder Ben looked shocked when he first came in.  How did I ever manage to live in such a sad place?  It was like a waiting room, not a home at all.  Is this all I thought I deserved?  Anger boiled up in my chest.  Anger over how my mom let "him" treat me the way he did, anger over Tim with his infidelities.  I deserved better, and at long last I think I have found it!  I know how much Ben loves me, and Abby loves me too, I think.

Quickly packing thru the apartment, the question of what to do with the stuff from my kitchen.  I won't be needing it, and it's just cheap stuff, the toaster, microwave and coffee maker can go to work in the break room.  The rice cooker will come home with me, I can't imagine life without it, and we don't have one at home.  As the word home rolled around in my head, my heart swelled again.  A home, at long last, a place for me, where people care for me, and want me.  I was leaning over the washer disconnecting the water hoses, when I heard the door bell ring.

Opening the door I was surprised as hell to see Rich.  He was the only one from work that I hung around with at all.  We played video games, and went to a sports bar a few times to watch a football game.  Rich was 23, with brown eyes and dirty blonde hair he kept buzzed very short.  He was cute as hell, and had starred in a few late night fantasies.  "Hey Rich!  What's up?"

"Nothing man, just came by to play some video games with ya, and I see your in the middle of moving.  What the hell man?  Why didn't you ask me for help?"

"I just didn't think of asking, that's all, ok?"  Shit! I hope this goes well…..

"Why ya movin'?  Oh, don't tell me you finally found you a little cutie to move in with?"

"Uh, yeah I found someone to move in with."

"Man, I didn't even know you were dating.  What's she like?  She can't be to smart if she's going out with a looser like you!"  Laughing madly at his own joke, I punched him on the arm.

My mind was whirling thoughts around and around, trying to decide what to tell Rich.  Fuck it!  I'm just going to tell him the truth.  "I'm moving in with a guy, not a girl."

"What! Ha ha ha ha!  Good one!"  Rich must have seen the serious look on my face, because in the middle of his laughter, he came to an abrupt halt.  "You're not shittin' me are you?  So…..you're gay?"

"Yeah."

"Really?"

"Yeah, really."

"Whoa dude!  Talk about a surprise!"

"We ok?"

"Fuck yeah!  Like I care who you sleep with."

Breathing out a breath I didn't even know I was holding, "I'm really glad to hear that Rich.  But, could you not tell the others at work?"

"For fucks sake no!  Most are complete asshats, they would make your work life a living hell."

"Thanks."

"You want some help?"

"Hellz yeah!"

As I was taking the computer desk apart Rich cleared his throat, I looked up to find him looking at me with a rather quizzical look on his face.

"What's up Rich?"

"Umm so I guess it's serious if you're moving in with him?"

"Yeah, really serious.  Why?"

"Well, it's just that you were unattached last week, and now you are moving in with him, ya know?"

"I know it's rather fast, but something just really clicked between us.  I can't really even describe it, but we are just right together, ya know?"

"Really? You know that fast?  How can that be?  How many dates have ya all had anyway?"

"Umm, mostly been together the entire week.  And ahh, he's……married."  At the shocked look on Rich's face I hurriedly continued, "No, no she knows about it, and she's cool with it, really."

"Now how could that be?"

"Umm, she would rather share him than loose him.  Look the thing is, they really do love each other, and this was the only way they could think of saving their marriage."

So, he is……?"

"His name is Ben, and he's bi."

"Oh….ok."

"If you will come in and meet them tonight, you will see how things work, yeah?"

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah I'm sure.  It's my home too.  Hey, stay for supper, we could grill up some steaks.  Sound good?"

"Ok, if you're sure you want me to…."

"Sure I'm sure.  Let me call Abby to make sure she doesn't have anything planned for supper."

"No, no don't go to any trouble."

"Trouble?  It's not any trouble.  But speaking of food…. I'm hungry. How about you?  Want to grab some lunch?"

"Yeah, sounds good."

"Cool, you drive, and I'll call Abby."

"Ok.  Burgers sound good to you?"

"Yup!"

On the way out the door, I ran thru my address book looking for Abby's number.  Ah, there it is!

"Hey Abby, I was wondering if you had anything planned for dinner?  A friend from work stopped by and I roped him into helping me."

"No, it's fine with me, but you should check with Ben first.  He stayed home with a headache today."

"Really?  He was fine this morning.  What happened?"

"He fell back to sleep and that usually just gives him a sluggish head for a few hours, but today it gave him a lulu of a headache.  I made him stay home from work."

"Ok, I'll swing by and check up on him after we eat lunch."

"Sounds good.  I've been worried about him but afraid to call and wake him up.  Hang on a sec."

I could hear the sounds of several voices talking and then Abby came back on the line, "I gotta go put this fire out.  Love ya!"

"Love ya too!"  And with that, she was gone.  Turning to Rich I said, "Hey would you mind stopping after lunch at my house?  Ben stayed home with a really bad headache, and I want to check up on him."

"Sure, no worries."

We grabbed lunch from a drive thru, and headed home so I could check up on Ben.  We decided to eat at home, and the smell of lunch was causing my stomach to make loud rumbling sounds, and Rich took full advantage of teasing me about it.  As we pulled into the driveway I was fishing my keys out of my pocket, and had the door open almost as soon as the truck came to a complete stop.  Jumping down with our lunch in my hands I hustled up to the front door, waving for Rich to hurry up.  Opening the door, only silence met me, which really worried me.

I dumped the sack of burgers and fries on the table, and opened the fridge, "Drinks are in here, choose what you want.  I'll be right back."  And was out of the room like a shot.  Walking down the hallway, the silence continued, and the bedroom door was still tightly shut.  'Hmm, he must be still asleep.'  As quietly as possible I eased the door open to find Ben stretched out sleeping soundly, right in the middle of the bed.  Some how the sight of him sleeping alone, in "his" spot, really got to me.  I eased myself onto the side of the bed, not wanting to startle him awake.  Slowly I laid down and cuddled up to Ben.  I felt Ben drift awake, and he threw an arm over me, and snuggled up closer to me.

"Are you done moving already?  What time is it anyway?"

"No, I'm here to check up on you.  Well, and eat some lunch too.  It's almost one."

"Really?  Good grief!  I've slept the day away."

"Umm, I have a friend in the kitchen.  Ya wanna meet him?"

"Really?  Who?"

"Rich from work.  He stopped by today to see if I wanted to kill things on the XboX.  And I, um told him every thing."

"Everything?"

"Yeah."

"Wow!  Were you scared?"

"I was scared shitless!  But, it seemed to go ok.  So, do ya wanna meet him?"

"Of course!  I'll be right out."
 
"Ok.  You feeling ok?"

"Yup!  My headache seems to be gone."  At at time my stomach rumbled again, causing both of us to crack up laughing. "Go feed your monster.  I'll be right out."


Feeling much relieved after seeing that Ben was ok, I entered the kitchen and was digging in the fridge looking for something to drink, when I saw the cans of Dr. Pepper.  Now that sounded good!  Oh, and mayonnaise.  It sounds nasty, but I love to dip my fries in that and not ketchup.  Carrying the mayo and my can of pop, I smiled at Rich, which he seemed to find funny, and he started to laugh.

"What's so funny?'  I popped the top of the soda and took a long drink.  As I was pulling my burgers and fries from the sack, Rich was still laughing.  Again I asked him, "What?"

"Man, you do have it bad, don't you?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about the fact that you almost run into the house, dump me and lunch in the kitchen and sprinted down the hall.  And come back a few minutes later with a big dopy grin on your face."

"Hey, at least I came back!"

"You're right, you did.  Is he ok?"

"Yeah, he'll be out in a few."

Just then Ben came into the kitchen, looking mussed and oh so sexy in jeans and a tee-shirt and bare feet.  I must have had that dopy look on my face again, cause Rich started snickering again.

"Hey, I'm Ben.  Nice to meet you, Rich."

"Hi."  Ben and Rich shook hands, and Ben went to the fridge and started digging around looking for something.

"Ya know, we used to have left overs in here all the time.  But since you moved in they seem to be an extinct species."

"Ha ha ha, aren't you the funny guy?  Here I bought enough for both of us."

"Ok, let me grab a soda first."  Ben checked the table and not finding any ketchup, dived back into the fridge again, rooting around until he found it.  "How you can eat your fries without ketchup is beyond me.  Rich, would you like some ketchup?"

"Yeah.  What's up with this guy?  I mean really, mayo on fries?"

"I have no idea what so ever!  But aside from that little character quirk, he seems to be normal."

"Normal?  Huh, if you say so.  I guess you should know."

We teased and laughed our way thru lunch, and I felt that Ben and Rich with time could be friends.  They both ganged up on me on how many burgers I ate, I mean is 4 really that many?  Throwing away our lunch trash, I asked Ben, "Where do you want me to put my bedroom furniture?  In the garage for now?"

"Nah, let's move it in today, and get rid of the old furniture."

"Ok.  Let's get the room emptied out now so we can move the my stuff in."

"Sounds good."

With three of us working the room was quickly emptied and as Rich and I moved the dresser to the garage, Ben was vacuuming the carpet.  With that out of the way, we jumped into the truck now it was a tight squeeze, not that I minded being pressed up against Ben so tightly.  It's amazing how quickly we emptied the apartment.  Ben seemed to be on vacuum duty, because after we moved my bedroom suite into the truck, he had the vacuum running and had the bedroom and hallway clean.  As Rich and I wrestled the washer and dryer into the truck, Ben started cleaning the bathroom.  He finished about the same time as the last box was placed in the truck.

"Hey!"  Ben said to me as he was filling the mop bucket to swab the kitchen floor, "What do you say about going to get the manager and check out of here today?"

"Good idea.  I'll be right back."  I headed out to the managers office, hoping he was in.

"For only being together a week, you two seem really tight."

Ben stopped mopping and looked at Rich, trying to gauge what he was really saying.  Deciding that he wasn't being mean, Ben replied, "Yeah, it's kinda weird actually.  I've only meet one other person in my entire life that I felt an instant connection with, and I married her."

"Derrick mentioned that you were married.  She's really ok with…..this?"

"Yeah, she is.  We have had some rough days, but I think we are going to be ok."

"…..oh."

"What?"

"Well, it just seems like she would be jealous of Derrick."

"First of all, it was her idea for me to get a boyfriend.  And second of all, she has had some jealous moments.  I'm sure there are going to be more between the three of us.  But, I think we can make this work."

"Cool.  Now I know why he has been so happy this week."

"Really?  Like how?"

"Oh, he keeps drifting off in the middle of a conversation, with a really dopy look on his face."

"It sounds like me.  I've been having trouble concentrating this week too.  But, I don't know about the dopy face."

"Oh, believe me, you have it too!"

"Ha ha! ok then!"

I had finished cleaning the kitchen when Derrick returned with the manager.  After a quick walk thru, he pronounced it clean and in good shape, took the key and Derrick's new address, promising to send him his deposit within the next two weeks.

The truck was about half empty when Abby came home from work.  We would finish up tonight, but it had taken longer than we had thought it would.  Rich was helping me hook up the washer and dryer when Abby came into the garage.

Pulling my head and shoulders from behind the washer, I motioned to Rich to turn around.  "Rich Hobart, this is Abby Parker.  I work with Rich up at the mine."

"Glad to meet you!  Thanks so much for helping Derrick get moved in.  Are you staying for supper?"

"If it's ok with you, I would love to."

"Good!  I'll change and get supper started.  Oh, where's Ben?"

"He's in the guest room setting up the bed.  What do you want to do with your old bedroom suite?"

"Load it in the truck and drop it off at one of the charity shops."

"Um, Abby?"  Abby and I turned and looked at Rich, he had a really funny look on his face.

"Yeah?"

"My sister's apartment burned down a few weeks ago.  She's bunking in with me right now, and it's kinda tight.  I have a one bedroom apartment, there are 4 of them.  Gloria and the two older kids are sleeping with her, the baby is in a crib in the living room, and I'm sleeping on the sofa.  We are starting to snap at each other.  I mean I love my sister but honestly!  So, I was just thinking if you didn't mind, that bedroom suite would come in real handy."

"Well, I've got a few boxes of kitchen stuff I didn't know what to do with either.  You could have that too.  Oh, and my box of sheets and towels.  We don't need the extras do we Abby?"

"No of course not.  Does your sister work?"  Abby had an interesting look on her face.  I wish that I knew her better, because I really wanted to know what she was thinking right now.

"Yeah, she does, but money has been tight for her ever since the divorce.  I'm helping all I can, but I have bills of my own.  I have the money for a deposit on a new apartment, but she needs so much to get her moved into a place of her own."

"Let me go and get changed, and I'll start supper.  Derrick could you get the charcoal started?"

There was something afoot that's for sure, but not having any idea what it could be, I let i go saying, "Sure Abby, one fired up grill coming up."  Getting the grill going, I enjoyed standing on the patio, feeling the breeze listening the the sounds of the neighborhood. Today has gone very well I think, I came out to Rich, and we're still tight.  I wonder how well Rich would get along with Lisa?  Maybe we could invite them both over, that would be cool to have some people to hang out with.  I'll have to run it by Abby and Ben.  The coals seem have caught well, time to go back to work on getting the truck emptied.

Just as we finished putting the last box away, Abby came into the garage, saying dinner was finished.  I don't think I could have lasted much longer with the yummy smells coming from the kitchen, and blowing from the grill.  We all went and washed up, and Ben and I stole a quick kiss when Rich wasn't looking.  Stolen kisses can be so sweet.  Ben gave Abby a quick kiss on the lips, and I gave her a huge hug for making such a fantastic supper.  Grilled pork chops, mashed sweet potatoes, cole slaw, biscuits, and green beans, heaven on my plate!  And Abby the angel that she is, made huge amounts of food, so I had plenty to eat, even with Rich here.  I grabbed a few beers from the fridge for the guys, and Abby wanted lemonade.  Abby really warmed up to Rich, and dinner was very pleasant.  We sat around the table long after we were done eating, just enjoying the company of each other.  Finally both Rich and I started to yawn, tomorrow is going to come really early!  Ben pushed Abby back into her chair to chat with Rich, while we cleaned up the kitchen.

"Oh crap!  I just realized my truck is at the rental place."

"Ya want me to pick you up?"

"Nah, it's to far out of your way, but thanks anyway.  I'll just take the old blanket out of my trunk to sit on."

I walked Rich out to his truck to say thanks for all the help today.  And before I could get my mouth open Rich said, "Hey, I want to thank you for the bedroom set.  Do you mind storing it in the garage for a bit longer?"

"No worries, ok?"

"Derrick?  You were right, it does work between the three of you, I'm happy for you."

"Thanks.  So you are cool with me, with us?"

"Yes."

"Cool.  See ya tomorrow at work then."

"Bye."

Ben and Abby were sitting on the sofa chatting, when I came into the living room.  Abby had changed into her pj's, and was snuggled up against Ben, but when she saw me come into the room, she held her hand out to me.  When I took it she pulled me down next to her, smiling at me she said, "Well!  I really liked Rich.  He's good people.  Ben told me you told him everything?"

"Yeah.  He's the only friend I have, and didn't want to lie to him."

"Rich acted like he was ok with our….relationship.  Was he really?"

"He is.  Rich mentioned it before he left.  He's cool.  I need to go to bed, tomorrow is going to a shit kinda day.  We have a 12 hour turn around on changing out the teeth on the 994 loader."

Abby pouted cutely, "You can't stay up for a little bit?  For me?  Please?"  Laughing at her play pouting, I pulled her into a hug and kissed her cheek.

"Ok little lady, just for you."  I had tried my best at a John Wayne imitation causing all of us to laugh.  I can't channel the Duke at all.

"Um, my mom called today, and she is angling for an invite.  We normally have her over several times a month.  I….ah we need to explain how things are with us.  Honestly, I'm worried about how she will take to this."  Abby waved her hand between the three of us.

Ben was very quiet, and had a far away look in his eye.  I glanced at Abby, she had a little frown on her face as she was watching Ben.  Drawing a ragged breath in he said, "I think that it should be me that tells your mom.  All of this is my fault.  If I wasn't bi, this wouldn't have happened.  Let me take her to dinner, talk to her, and if things go well, bring her back here."

"No.  This isn't all your fault.  You tried to divorce me, and I wouldn't let you.  So this is as much my "fault" as it is yours.  We will tell her together, the three of us.  Derrick, what do you think?"

"Me? I don't know.  I don't have a clue."

The three of us sat quietly, each thinking our own thoughts, working on the knot of how to work this so it turns out the best way possible.  Abby finally broke the silence saying, "She's my mom, so I get to choose.  And I choose that we tell her together.  Done!"

"Baby, it doesn't work that way, and you know it.  Derrick you are thinking something, I can tell, what is it?"

Clearing my throat, to be honest I was a trifle nervous but decided to plunge in the deep end and just hope that every thing would turn out for the best, "I see where you both have good points here.  No, really.  She is Abby's mom, she should get a bigger say in this.  I can see where Ben would feel it's all his fault, and that he should be the one to take the blunt end of any negative emotion, shielding Abby from her mom's possible anger."  Pulling in a lung full of air feeling a quiver in the pit of my stomach I finished up saying, "But I think that Ben should be the one to tell her.  He was the one in pain, and he did try to do the honorable thing by letting you fly free."

Sighing a huge sigh Abby quietly said, "Ok, you tell her.  But not at some soulless restaurant, tell her here, I'll leave the room until you are ready for me.  Derrick and I will wait until you call us."

Ben looked at the two of us, "So, is tomorrow to soon?  Now that we have made our decision, I'd like to get it over as soon as possible."

Abby looked at me, I nodded yes, and we both looked at Ben, who said, "Ok then, tomorrow it is."

Comments (0)